Friday 16 February 2007

[Imported from "LewyLife"] The old and the new

My shiny, new copy of “Supreme Commander” came in the post this morning: on the day of it’s release. Purchased for £7 less than it was listed on Amazon (despite a sponsored Google search results purporting it at £5 less that it *actually* was! Mmm… subtle fraudulence). And I’m all excited cos it’s the *real* sequel to Total Annihilation (my favourite game of all time)….

BUT MY COMPUTER WON’T PLAY IT! (if the 1Gb demo I downloaded the other day after making my pre-order is anything to go by, which it almost certainly is) My computer meets the Recommended specs on the nose (give or take some ambiguity about Vertex/Pixel shader jargon). To my shock I realised my computer is over 900 days old (2 na half years) and so may genuinely be too decrepit for this demanding title (TA itself totally killed computers of the time too so I remember, 10 years ago). But I’ve only just finished sorting out this computer into a nice silent configuration, resplendent with heat sinks, I can barely bring myself to contemplate the well practiced new graphics card, motherboard, processor, RAM procedure.

This one time I curse Moore’s Law! If only I could sell one of my kidneys to splash out on a mini heap of new hardware for the odd game of blow up the red guy.

Oh, btw, since my last post I totally gave up giving up dairy products after 5 days (no benefits there), and I didn’t bother blowing £250 on a food allergy test as conventional medical advice firmly states there is no know link to that and tiredness. Plus the lovely york test lady phoned to inform me (predictably) that my indicator test showed some food groups could be troubling me, so would I be proceeding to upgrade to the full screen to find out exactly what might be wrong?...”I’ll think about it.” I hate sales pitches.

I did get to see the fabled Neurologist in oxford though, who kindly prescribed me something to get me off to sleep at a sensible time each night, and if that alone didn’t pan out (which it hasn’t really) I get some Modafinil, the drug I put on my to do list a year and a half ago…

Time is change. Sometimes it seems far too slow. Others: nonsensically rapid. Fingers crossed that the uppers and downers get me sorted enough that I get my neural nets coursework in only a week late, and the rest of my life is a dreamy success!

1 comment:

  1. I want that Game! I want that Game! Gimme Gimme!

    However contemplating the fact that your computer is only 2 years old and mine is about 5 years old I somehow doubt it will work.

    Ooooh thats not fair!!!! I wanna play now!

    Never mind I guess I'll have to save up for a new graphics card or just buy Final Fantasy 12 on the PS2 instead.

    Yaay!

    ReplyDelete

I'm very happy to see comments, but I need to filter out spam. :-)